Kūkākūkā:Ka papa kinohi
Some interface change suggestions, taken from my dictionary:
- article: mo'olelo
- edit: ho'oponopono
- discussion: kūkākūkā
- recent changes: nā loli hou
I'm not 100% sure of the last one, but the rest are straightforward. - 220.127.116.11 20:12, 20 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Also, non-speakers like me may find these links useful: Hawaiian Dictionaries, Learn Hawaiian (I especially liked Ka Mokulele.) But of course, I urge caution - as my article mistake should demonstrate, these things are easy to get wrong... - 18.104.22.168 21:05, 20 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Not sure why you have elected to use unicode for the ‘okina? It does not work on most browsers. - Marshman
- 1 Logo
- 2 PD sources
- 3 Wikipedia Revisions
- 4 Translation of the System Messages into Hawaiian
- 5 Hawaiian Wikipedia is only 47 articles?
- 6 Bot status for PipepBot
- 7 BotMultichill
- 8 AlleborgoBot
- 9 Bot Status for Purbo T
- 10 Article naming
- 11 ʻOkina
- 12 Ka papa kinohi
- 13 Why
- 14 Small request
- 15 Requested page
- 16 Survey on this wikipedia
- 17 Funny link to german Wikipedia
- 18 Article requests
- 19 Request for adminship
- 20 Aloha mai e – Ka papa kinohi?
Shouldn't the icon in the top left hand corner be in Hawai'ian? It says "wikipedia the free encyclopedia" what would that translate to in Hawai'ian?
- I'm guessing it would be "Ka ku'oko'a ?????" = ("The free encyclopedia") Is there a word for encyclopedia in Hawai'ian? Also, "Wikipikia" = ("Wikipedia"). --Woo 06:52, 21 June 2006 (UTC)
PD sources[edit source]
Bishop museum I know has a lot of physical material that is PD-Art or PD-old. I can go and scan and take pictures of that. But I am curious- Does anyone know of some huge online stores of PD material we can quickly bring over that is written in Hawaiian? -User talk:Makthorpe
Wikipedia Revisions[edit source]
I feel that any and all corrections to the Hawaiian language version of the Wikipedia site should be done by someone fluent in the language. I have discovered articles and phrases throughout the site that show evidence of this occurance so I would highly advise those who wish to contribute do so carefully, if possible have someone knowledgable in the language at hand. As for me, I speak the language and can therefore spot "dictionary-lookers" so please take this piece of advice into consideration. As for the icon being translated, if possible I would like to change it. The translation would be, "'O Wikipetia, ka puke noi'i ku'ikena noa", plus kahako which I can't seem to get over the vowels. Tauleonui 23:47, 2 August 2006 (UTC)
Translation of the System Messages into Hawaiian[edit source]
Here is a long and challenging list of words which still needs to be translated into Hawaiian. Any help by native speakers would br appreciated. --Jose77 09:52, 18 'Aukake 2006 (UTC)
- I have removed the messages because they clog up the page. All of the messages are located at Special:Allmessages. Kalanimoku 04:55, 12 Nowemapa 2007 (UTC)
Hawaiian Wikipedia is only 47 articles?[edit source]
Could it be because of a lot of Hawaiians speaking English? 22.214.171.124 04:51, 10 Iune 2007 (UTC)
- I think this is pretty cool, and although I haven't a clue on the Hawai'ian language, I can't wait to see this encyclopedia when ot gets big. However, I don't think many people would use this as their main encyclopedia, other than the population of Ni'ihau. 126.96.36.199 19:19, 30 Kekemapa 2007 (UTC) (en:user:SeanMD80)
E nānā mai e nā hoa ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi. Ke piʻi mai nei nā helu o nā ʻatikala i kākau ʻia ma ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi. Kākauʻia ma luna nei penei, 47 wale nō ʻatikala i kākauʻia i ka makahiki 2007. Kupaianaha! E hoʻomau kākou! Hawanawana57 (talk) 19:09, 2 Kekemapa 2018 (UTC)
Bot status for PipepBot[edit source]
Hello! I ask for permission to run my interwiki bot PipepBot here, and to get a bot flag for it.
- Operator: it:User:Pipep
- Purpose: Interwiki
- Software: Pywikipedia
- Have bot flag at: als, am, an, ar, az, bat-smg, be-x-old, bn, bs, ca, ceb, cs, cv, da, en, eo, et, fo, fur, fy, ga, hr, id, is, ka, ksh, la, lb, li, lv, mk, ml, nap, nds, nds-nl, nn, no, pms, roa-tara, ru-sib, scn, simple, sl, sr, sv, th, tl, uk, vec, zea
- Details: Interwiki using Pywikipediabot. It mostly runs manually assisted. May run automatically in some cases.
Thank you! --it:User:Pipep 07:24, 12 'Aukake 2007 (UTC)
- PipepBot has now bot status. Thank you. it:User:Pipep 17:41, 30 'Aukake 2007 (UTC)
Hi, i request a bot bit for BotMultichill.
- Botmaster : Multichill
- Bot's name : BotMultichill
- List of botflags on others wikipedias: about 100+ atm (see meta:User:Multichill for the current list)
- Purpose: Interwiki (pywikipedia)
- Technical details : BotMultichill is an interwiki bot starting at the Dutch wikipedia. The bot uses the pywikipedia framework and runs day and night in autonomous mode. Sometimes the bot will run in manual assisted mode to solve interwiki conflicts. Multichill 12:15, 5 Kepakemapa 2007 (UTC)
Hi, i request a bot flag for AlleborgoBot
- Operator: Alleborgo
- Automatic or Manually Assisted: Automatic, in "-autonomous" mode. Sometimes the bot will run in manual assisted mode to solve interwiki conflicts.
- Programming Language(s): Pywikipedia framework daily updated to the last SVN version
- Function Summary: interwiki
- Already has a bot flag in: ar, an, az, bar, bg, br, bpy, bs, ca, ceb, cs, da, de, en, eo, es, eu, fa, fi, fr, gl, he, hr, hu, hy, id, it, ja, jv, ka, ksh, lb, li, lmo, ln, lt, mi, ml, ms, nds, nl, nn, no, pl, pt, ro, ru, sk, simple, sl, sq, su, sv, th, tr, uk, vec, vi, zh, zh-yue. On it.wiki has done more than 45000 edit.
Thanks --AlleborgoBot 14:10, 9 'Okakopa 2007 (UTC)
- AlleborgoBot has the flag now, thank you. --AlleborgoBot 19:38, 28 Nowemapa 2007 (UTC)
Bot Status for Purbo T[edit source]
- Operator: User:Purodha = ksh:User:Purodha
- Function: interwiki link maintenance
- Operation: manually-assisted, occasionally in automatic or autonomous mode, starting mostly from the Wikipedia of Ripuarian languages
- Software: pywikipediabot framework updated daily from svn
- Already flagged on: more pending.
- Generally, there is cumulated data on the bot (sorry, due to current technical problems at the toolserver, the data is partially not up to date)
Thank you! --Purodha Blissenbach 21:54, 14 Pepeluali 2008 (UTC)
Article naming[edit source]
I don't think there's a policy on this, so I'll bring it up: should articles be named and written using the commoner Hawaiian name, such as Kahiki instead of Tahiti? By the same token, what about articles whose names are not commonly used or known, such as Sepania? Should it be named and written as Kepania?
I guess what I'm trying to say is if we should name articles and write words using, as best we can, only Hawaiian letters (the pī‘āpā), or "standard" Hawaiian spelling. Obviously, we cannot completely "Hawaiianize" some words like Arancón (hm...). But should we convert to Hawaiian spelling as much as possible without distorting meaning? [After all], ‘o Wikipikia Hawai‘i kēia. (My Hawaiian knowledge is so incomplete I'm not even sure that last sentence conveyed the right meaning, which is: After all, this is the Hawaiian Wikipikia.) Kalani [walaʻau] 10:16, 27 Mei 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah...there's no policy on naming yet, since it's no sense making policy when there's not much of a community...anyway, I do agree with your point; any name that can use standard spelling should, but if that's not exactly possible, we shouldn't force it. P.S. Your sentence was perfectly fine! Singularity 07:43, 28 Mei 2008 (UTC)
On this Wikipedia I see a mixture of U+02BB MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA (ʻ), U+0027 APOSTROPHE ('), and U+2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (‘) all being used for the ʻokina. The correct ʻokina character is U+02BB MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA. The template character for the ʻokina below the edit window is the wrong one (U+2018). The wrong one is also being used in all the various links and boilerplate text throughout the site.
Internet Explorer does not support the correct ʻokina in plaintext by default, but by specifying the correct font with a template, it seems to work correctly:
<span style="font-family:'Lucida Sans Unicode'">ʻ</span>
Given this, I think it would be important in a newly forming encyclopedia to make sure to use correct punctuation in order to better support this language. The sooner this issue is addressed, the better. What I would suggest is to have a simple wikicode character, like
` (U+0060 GRAVE ACCENT, found on any keyboard and no problem for any browser) for instance, that could be used in editing, which would be replaced with a proper ʻokina in the final display (much like
==heading==, etc.). I don't know if there's any way or anyone who could set this up, but it would be a huge boost for the Hawaiian language to have an encyclopedia consistently typesetting it properly (after years of seeing it mangled and ignored out of ignorance and/or laziness).
At the very least, the "official" text and links should be corrected. —Werson 04:46, 10 Iune 2008 (UTC)
- Hi there. I'd like you to see this discussion on why LSQUL (U+2018) was specifically chosen as the ‘okina symbol instead of the others. I'd like to note that there is no "official" or "correct" ‘okina symbol, as I have seen all of them used in the Web in Hawaiian. The problem you refer to is a relatively minor technical issue that shouldn't ruin the integrity of the encyclopedia. Thanks, Singularity 07:35, 10 Iune 2008 (UTC)
Ka papa kinohi[edit source]
I am wondering why is there mostly english speaking people on here instead of speaking Hawaiian Parker1297 00:24, 25 Kepakemapa 2009 (UTC)
- Aloha! Hiki i ka lehulehu o nā mea ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi ke ʻōlelo i ʻelua mau ʻōlelo: ʻo ka ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi a me ka ʻŌlelo Pelekane nō hoʻi. I kekahi manawa, maʻalahi paha ka hoʻokaʻaʻike ʻana ma ka ʻōlelo Pelekane. A ʻo wau, ʻo ka ʻōlelo Pelekane koʻu ʻōlelo mua. Ke aʻo mai nei au i ka ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi i loko o ke kula.
- I ka ʻōlelo Pelekane (English): Aloha! Most Hawaiian speakers are bilingual, speaking both English and Hawaiian. Sometimes it's easier to communicate in English, especially when dealing with technical terms, which can be common in Wikipedia. As for me, English was my first language; I'm currently studying Hawaiian in school. —Kal (wala‘au) 07:14, 26 Kepakemapa 2009 (UTC)
Small request[edit source]
Hello! I am a Polish wikipedian and I would like to ask you for your help - writing a new article about former Polish President who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983 – Lech Wałęsa. I have looked for his biography in your Wikipedia but without success. Polish Wikipedians will be grateful for your help. Thank you so much in advance! PS you can find the English version of the article here. Best wishes from Poland, Patrol110 09:12, 13 Nowemapa 2009 (UTC)
Requested page[edit source]
- Ok, thank you :) 188.8.131.52 15:24, 14 Nowemapa 2010 (UTC)
Survey on this wikipedia[edit source]
Aloha, I cannot really speak Hawaiian, and that is why I am writing in English, I hope that is okay for you. I am from Germany, Bremen, and I am studying linguistics and I have a seminar on language ausbau. This is, when a language doesn't have enough words to express all the modern things and it gets then upgrated with new expressions to fulfill it. And I want to study how Wikipedia can help on that and this is why I doing those surveys. I have two questions for you: 1. What do you think is the contribution of Wikipedia that your languages gets beter developped and gets new expressions for modern things, 2. How do you build new words, are there certain patterns or methods? (And would you be so kind and show me, where you are discussing on new words?) I would be really thankful, if there came some meanings and answers together. Thank you very much, Sincerely Zylbath 16:56, 13 Kepakemapa 2011 (UTC)
Aloha from Germany! The link to the german Wikipedia on the left side of the hawaiian main page links to the article [[de:Azal]]. This is must be a mistake, since it is about a portugese grape variety (see en:Azal). The correct link to the german main page is [[de:Hauptseite]]. Thanks for editing! (o; --Rajas 18:27, 28 Kepakemapa 2011 (UTC)
Article requests[edit source]
Hello! I think these articles would be a good idea on the Hawaiian Wikipedia:
Thank you, WhisperToMe 09:38, 5 'Okakopa 2011 (UTC)
Request for adminship[edit source]
- Aloha! My access to adminship was temporary and expired. I would like to request for it again, and must start a new conversation to know if the (small) Hawaiian community is OK. Is there any opposition ? Mathieudu68 (kūkākūkā) 09:47, 20 Iune 2014 (UTC)
Aloha, my temporary access to adminship is going to expire soon. I'd like to prolong it again for a few months, in order to continue to patrol recent changes and new article creations, and to delete undesirable pages or to block vandals as I've done up to now. Is there any opposition? Mathieudu68 (kūkākūkā) 05:54, 24 Kekemapa 2014 (UTC)
- No opposition from me. I haven't been on for a while because of the lack of internet at home at the moment, sorry about that. Hope this helps Mat. Mahalo for you work. Kolonahe (talk) 19:41, 13 Iune 2015 (UTC)
Aloha mai e – Ka papa kinohi?[edit source]
Like so many others, my understanding and knowledge of Hawaiian is rudimentary, so pardon my using English. (I generally learn languages through surfing through their Wikipedias.) I was born and raised on Oʻahu and am currently back home living here. I'd be interested in helping to redesign the home page for the Hawaiian Wikipedia and make it more welcoming and in line with both the Vector skin and other Wikipedias (for instance, the Portuguese and French Wikipedias). If anyone is interested at all in giving feedback, contributing time, resources, or ideas, please feel free to message me.
- Aloha Musubi! On my part, I think our home page really needs an upgrade and more organization so your idea sounds really good. The only thing that would stop you from doing any of this is the fact that I'm not sure if we have any admin anymore and the page was locked so only admins can edit it due to vandalism I guess. You can try and contact Mathieudu68. Also there hasn't been really any activity that I can see besides a massive increase of one sentence articles from out-of-wiki users, so there isn't really much people to bounce ideas and opinions off of. I usually just go through articles and correct grammar errors and wrong wordage periodicly and spend most of my time on translatewiki translating the interface for the wiki. However if you need someone to kukakuka with, I'm more than happy to. Just leave a message on my kukakuka (talk) page and I'll get back as soon as possible. Mahalo a malama pono Kolonahe (talk) 19:50, 13 Iune 2015 (UTC)